Sustainable Development Policy
Steamships Trading Company and its subsidiary companies will conduct our activities in a manner that protects the environment, health, security and safety of our employees, contractors, and customers. We wish to excel as corporate citizens.
To do this, Steamships will meet or exceed all legal requirements and;
- Operate in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of all our stakeholders. Zero harm is our goal.
- Provide and maintain safe places of work and equipment;
- Continually review work places, equipment and procedures to further improve safety;
- Provide occupational health and safety training for employees.
- Play an active role as a responsible corporate citizen, being involved in community engagement programs and encouraging staff to participate.
- Be a good steward of the natural resources under our influence and ensure that all potential adverse impacts of our operations on the environment are identified and appropriately managed.
- Favour suppliers and contractors who promote sustainable development.
- Strive to be an employer of choice by providing an environment in which all employees are treated fairly and encouraged to realise their full potential.
Making it happen:
- The promotion and maintenance of HSSE is the responsibility of all staff.
- All companies in which Steamships Trading Company Limited has a controlling interest will have action plans for applying this policy in a way which is relevant to their business.
- We will encourage other companies in which we have an interest as a shareholder or through our supply chain to implement similar policies.
- We will monitor our performance and report regularly.
Our strategy is aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. At Steamships, sustainability is central to everything we do. We believe that our environmental and social performance is as important as our financial performance, as is our duty of care to our staff. By maintaining a clear focus on the three pillars of Our People, Our Environment and Our Community, Steamships remains a major contributor to the economic development of PNG and a committed steward of the unique environment and culture of our nation.
Our people remain our most important asset. We strive to ensure that work at a Steamships business is a rewarding and enjoyable experience.
- Steamships is an equal opportunity employer and treats all employees with dignity and respect.
- We provide a safe and secure work environment and promote healthier lifestyles.
- We provide development opportunities and rewarding careers.
Responsible and sustainable energy consumption is an area of increased focus at Steamships. There is regular monitoring and reporting of energy use, water use, waste and environmental emissions at operational level with the intention of improving performance wherever possible.
Steamships Trading Company has a considerable footprint in PNG and it is considered essential to have a positive impact on the various communities in which it operates.
The Steamships Sustainable Development Policy commits the Group to playing an active role as a responsible corporate citizen.
Our Sustainable Development Policy is aligned with the various United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
For more information on the Sustainable Development Goals please visit the following website: https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
@345 Building, Levels 1-2, Stanley Esplanade, Section 20, Allotments 3,4 and 5, Port Moresby, National Capital District, Papua New Guinea
P.O. Box 1
National Capital District
Papua New Guinea
- (675) 3137400 or 79987000